I’ll do these by the numbers. So many have no real idea what he stands for, and one of my commenters wondered if knowing would change anything. let me know if this changes your opinion of Ron Paul
1. debt and taxes – I think my issue here is that someone who wants free trade shouldn’t complain because other nations “buy a piece of the rock” so to speak. I have read where he supports a consumption tax, but from my own reading, I have never seen him support that without constitutional strings attached. He does want lower taxes…remember that for later.
2. American Independence and sovereignty- he is against U.S. troops being tried for war crimes by an International Criminal Court, he is against GATT NAFTA the WTO, and Cafta…so what free trade is he for?
in this one he also talks down the NAFTA superhighway which is planned along current I-69. He also is trying to get funding to extend I-69 through Houston. What the hey, if there is a NAFTA Superhighway he might as well be in on it.
this one is mystifying. I don’t understand his stance on free trade at all? Is he talking free international trade with no guidelines or restrictions? what about regulations determining the viability of the products being imported? He is thin on this one. He says this as a closing line:
“We must withdraw from any organizations and trade deals that infringe upon the freedom and independence of the United States of America”_Ron Paul (name added by author)
well, you have to give up something in any trade deal Ron. What is allowed. He is very vague on his webpage.
3. war and foreign policy. No war without congressional declaration. No foreign aid. no isolationism. Open trade, travel, communication, and diplomacy that pretty well sums it up. What it doesn’t say is often times diplomacy hinges on foreign aid. In other words, sometimes governments buy friends in the interest of the greater good. I agree with the only declared wars line, but the rest of it is simply from lollipops, gumdrops, and rainbow land. do not isolate but do not intervene. Do not give aid or intervene, but use diplomacy. open trade in a nation that heavily regulates its industry with nations that don’t? can you say burgeoning trade deficits, bunkie? I’m sorry, other than declared wars, this whole block is irrational. They really need to keep him on his meds.
4. life and liberty _this is the abortion one, folks. He is against abortion. No question. He wants life to be considered to begin at conception. He has authored legislation that will stop the federal government from intervening in state decisions to defend life…limiting Roe v. Wade. He does not obfuscate like the pauliacs. He comes right out and says what he wants , with utter clarity. In a related issue there is also a lot of bold speak using clipped excerpts that show he supports stem cell research. This is false. He supports SOME stem cell research. He does not and has never supported in any of his speeches embryonic stem cell research, the type scientists and medical experts believe to be the most valuable. He is against federal funding for any of them. Here’s a link before you go telling me how dumb I am.
5. Border security and immigration reform – he has six bullet points…the most important thing, paying for it isn’t mentioned. They include (I’ll give a link to the full text at the bottom of this article) Physically secure our borders and coastlines (and I assume ports), enforce visa rules, no amnesty, no welfare for illegal aliens, end birthright citizenship, pass true immigration reform. ok Can we say huge Federal Government Bureaucracy? I’m talking massive expenditures just to secure the perimeter. then we need enough law enforcement types to deport 10 to 20 million people, We need screeners everywhere to ensure sick illegal immigrants don’t get treated at hospitals or receive government services, we need to change the constitution for our constitutional conservative, (I believe thats a 2/3rds vote which is never going to happen on this issue), and then we need to establish what I can only assume is a draconian immigration policy, because he complains about there being to many. This would make the iraq war funding look like someone broke into a piggy bank.
6. privacy and personal liberty – self explanatory. He wants utmost privacy, and no federal ID card. He seems to want to abolish SSN as well, or at least curtail there usage. My problem here is quite simply since the constitution does not gaurantee privacy, why is this one of his issues?
7. Property rights and eminent domain – This is one that everybody likes i’m sure, but think of what our highway system would be like if when interstates were being built in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s eminent domain were not part of law? Here is the fifth amendment…read the last line carefully
U.S. Constitution: Fifth Amendment
Fifth Amendment – Rights of Persons
Amendment Text | Annotations
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation
I’m sorry…thats twice on his own campaign blog where the strongest voice for freedom and the only true constitutional government supporter bucks the constitution. I didn’t write any of this stuff. He did, or his staff did with his consent. I’m not for the NAFTA superhighway, but understand that eminent domain and regulations to protect wetlands etc are crucial to the viability of our nation and our planet.
Ok, that’s all of it…now here is the link in case you think I’m lying.
now you know what Ron Paul is about on the issues he found to be important enough to post on his campaign webpage…go read it, and let me know how you feel about him. I’ll even delete your comment without posting it if you ask. My curiousity is killing me.